Kidapawan City celebrates its 11th Charter Anniversary
KIDAPAWAN used to be a district of Pikit, Cotabato. It was converted into a Municipality on August 18, 1947, by virtue of Executive Order No. 82 signed by then President Manuel A. Roxas, making it the fourth town of the then Empire Province of Cotabato.
The name Kidapawan was taken from the Ubo-Manobo words “tida’’ which means “spring’’ and “pawan’’ which means “highland.’’ From “Tidapawan,’’ the “Highland Spring,’’ the name evolved into Kidapawan. Through Presidential Decree No. 341, Kidapawan became the provincial capital of North Cotabato on November 22, 1973. After more than 10 years, North Cotabato was renamed Cotabato.
Kidapawan is located at the base of majestic Mt. Apo. It is bounded at the southeastern section by Cotabato province and situated in between Davao, Cotabato, General Santos, and Koronadal City. On February 12, 1998, it was legally created into a component city of Cotabato by virtue of Republic Act No. 8500 signed by then President Fidel V. Ramos. Through a plebiscite on March 21, 1998, the Act was ratified.
Kidapawan City belongs to the Soccksargen Region (Region XII). It is composed of 40 barangays and had a population of 101,205 as of the 2000 Census. It is considered the industrial center of Cotabato. It is also one of the tourist destinations in the country. The city’s attractions include Mt. Apo, the tallest mountain in the Philippines, Lake Venado, Kawayan Falls, Marbel Falls, Steaming Blue Lake Agco, and the home of the endangered Philippine Eagle.
The Charter Anniversary is highlighted with parades, beauty contests, trade fairs, and traditional non-lethal horse fights.
We greet the officials and residents of Kidapawan City led by its Mayor, Rodolfo Y. Gantuangco, on the occasion of its 11th Charter Anniversary and wish them success in all their endeavors.