(The Philippine Star) Updated January 19, 2010 12:00 AM
MANILA, Philippines – Rosella (not her real name) is a brave lupus survivor. Here, she shares her story of faith and triumph over a life-threatening disease:
“It was a miracle that I got healed. I guess God answers our prayers but not always in the way we want. Just when you think the game is over, just when you’re at the edge of the cliff of hopelessness, the Lord pulls you up and helps you get out of the quagmire of desperation.
“In 2003, during my second year in college, I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis (class 4) and confined in the hospital for over a month. Two years later, I was diagnosed with lupus cerebritis as a result of a seizure. I was so devastated when I learned that the lupus virus had started to attack my brain. Then and there, I wanted to end my life, especially when my doctor said I could no longer go back to school. I was even advised to see a psychiatrist to help me cope with my situation, so that I would be able to accept the fact that lupus would remain in my system forever.
“But deep inside, I refused to just let things be. I knew I would overcome this disease because I have faith in God and deep in my heart, I knew my prayers would be answered. Besides, with today’s technological advances and endless research to find a cure for lupus, I just knew I had a fighting chance to be cured.
“This treacherous disease started attacking my immune system and vital organs like my kidneys and lungs. My hemoglobin count dropped. I screamed and cried from the excruciating pain every time doctors took out about four liters of water from my lungs. I just wanted to die to put an end to the pain. When I went through a recent surgery, I was awake during the whole procedure because the anesthesia didn’t work. It was probably because of the overdose of painkillers injected in me all this time.
“And then, one day, my mother was listening to her favorite radio program when she heard about Easy Pha-Max Wheatgrass and its benefits if taken on a regular basis. She immediately inquired about how she could purchase the wheatgrass. Barely two days after taking the wheatgrass, she felt strong and didn’t feel as weak as she did after doing household chores. She told me to try it and see if my condition would improve.
“However, I was advised against taking wheatgrass by my doctors because it might conflict with the medicines I was taking or might harm my kidneys further. But my mother’s persistence made me relent. I started to take two sachets of this wonder wheatgrass every day for two weeks. After two weeks, I felt nothing — I mean, I felt great! I felt strong. I was able to sleep better. I didn’t feel dizzy anymore. When it was time for my periodic lab test to check my hemoglobin count, the doctor was in for a big surprise. My hemoglobin count went up from 8.1 g/dl to 12 g/dl (normal level) and my creatine level was normal. My doctor was amazed, but because we did not tell her that I was taking wheatgrass, she assumed it was due to the injections and other maintenance medicines I was taking.
“After continuously taking Easy Pha-Max Wheatgrass for six months, my test results showed more improvements: My pus cells were normal. I no longer had UTI (urinary tract infection). I might be taken off steroids soon. Easy Pha-Max wheatgrass, a superfood, must be God’s gift to man.
“Because of my improved condition, I am studying again and back to my day-to-day routine. And I feel stronger every day — strong enough to reach for my young dreams.
* * *
To know more about Easy Pha-Max Wheatgrass, call 890-1111 or 09178612008. Visit www.wheatgrasscan.com.
Studies by competent multi-degreed scientists have shown beyond any reasonable doubt that consuming garlic generally has the following physical effects:
- Garlic lowers blood pressure a little. (9% to 15 % with one or two medium cloves per day.)
- Garlic lowers LDL Cholesterol a little. (9% to 15 % with one or two medium cloves per day.)
- Garlic helps reduce atherosclerotic buildup (plaque) within the arterial system. One recent study shows this effect to be greater in women than men.
- Garlic lowers or helps to regulate blood sugar.
- Garlic helps to prevent blood clots from forming, thus reducing the possibility of strokes and thromboses (Hemophiliacs shouldn’t use garlic.)
- Garlic helps to prevent cancer, especially of the digestive system, prevents certain tumors from growing larger and reduces the size of certain tumors.
- Garlic may help to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from the body.
- Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic that works differently than modern antibiotics and kills some strains of bacteria, like staph, that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics.
- Garlic has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
- Garlic dramatically reduces yeast infections due to Candida species.
- Garlic has anti-oxidant properties and is a source of selenium.
- Eating garlic gives the consumer an enhanced sense of well being – it makes you feel good just eating it.
- Garlic probably has other benefits as well.
Excerpts from Health Benefits and Medical Emergency Uses of Garlic
Onion is being used for centuries not just to add flavor to foods but also for its therapeutic properties. Onion have an antibacterial and antifungal properties. Some people mixed vinegar with onion juice and apply it in their freckles and warts, it is believed that it can remove/reduce this skin problems.
Nutritive Values of Onions : Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A : 50 I.U.
- Vitamin B :
- Vitamin C : 9 mg.
- Calcium : 32 mg.
- Phosphorus : 44 mg.
- Potassium : 300 mg.
- Carbohydrates : 10.3 gm.
- Protein : 1.4 mg.
- Calories : 45
Onion is Benenificial in the following conditions:
- Reduce inflammation
- Slightly laxative
- Lowers cholesterol
- Prolong longevity
- Helps destroy worms and other parasites.
- Bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tube)
- Neuritis (inflammation of the nerves)
- Vertigo (inflammation of nerves)
- Diuretic (increases the secretion of urine)
- Diabetes mellitus – lowers blood sugar.
- Valuable for the hair, nails of the fingers and toes, and for the eyes.
- Sinus conditions – helps to drain mucus from the cavities and loosen phlegm.
- Whether fresh or cooked onions have antiplatelet, adhesiveness, thus preventing thrombosis.
The world’s most beautiful women, Cleopatra of Egypt and Yang Guifei of China loved to eat okra in their diets according to the history record.
When we visited the world’s most productive land of okra, Kami rural area in Kowchi Prefecture, Japan, young and old are all in smile and look very healthy. When we asked the secret of their beautiful smile and good health in that area, their answers were great grace of okra.
The history of okra seems to be very old and it was cultivated in Egypt before the time of Cleopatra. The okra plant spread to many parts of the world during the Atlantic slave trade. During WWII, the shortage of coffee beans made them use okra seeds as a substitute for coffee. This incident made the word “okra fever”. Since then, okra’s popularity never disappeared from local markets to convenience stores throughout the world and throughout the year.
Okra contains vitamins A and C and is a good source of iron and calcium. It also contains starch, fat, ash, thiamine and riboflavin. No wonder, Cleopatra and Yang Guifei maintained their beauties. Probably, you want to know more specifically. Here it is:
|For 1/2 cup sliced, cooked okra||For 1 cup raw okra|
Dietary Fiber 2 grams
Protein 1.52 grams
Carbohydrates 5.76 grams
Vitamin A 460 IU
Vitamin C 13.04 mg
Folic acid 36.5 micrograms
Calcium 50.4 mg
Iron 0.4 mg
Potassium 256.6 mg
Magnesium 46 mg
Total Fat: 0.1g
Vitamin A 660 IU
Vitamin C 21mg
BENEFITS OF OKRA
- The superior fiber found in okra helps to stabilize the blood sugar by curbing the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
Okra’s mucilage binds cholesterol and bile acid carrying toxins dumped into it by the filtering liver.
- Okra helps lubricate the large intestines due to its bulk laxative qualities. The okra fiber absorbs water and ensures bulk in stools. This helps prevent and improve constipation. Unlike harsh wheat bran, which can irritate or injure the intestinal tract, okra’s mucilage soothes, and okra facilitates elimination more comfortably by its slippery characteristic.
- Okra binds excess cholesterol and toxins (in bile acids). These, if not evacuated, will cause numerous health problems. Okra also assures easy passage out of waste from the body. Okra is completely non-toxic, non-habit forming, has no adverse side effects, is full of nutrients, and is economically within reach of most unlike the OTC drugs.
- Okra fiber is excellent for feeding the good bacteria (probiotics). This contributes to the health of the intestinal tract.
- Okra is a supreme vegetable for those feeling weak, exhausted, and suffering from depression.
- Okra is used for healing ulcers and to keep joints limber. It helps to neutralize acids, being very alkaline, and provides a temporary protective coating for the digestive tract.
Okra treats lung inflammation, sore throat, and irritable bowel.
- Okra has been used successfully in experimental blood plasma replacements.
- Okra is good for summer heat treatment. Okra is a supreme vegetable for those feeling weak, exhausted, and suffering from depression.
- Okra is good for constipation.
- Okra is good in normalizing the blood sugar and cholesterol level.
- Okra is good for asthma. Okra’s vitamin C is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, which curtail the development of asthma symptoms.
- Okra is good for atherosclerosis.
- Okra is believed to protect some forms of cancer expansion, especially colorectal cancer.
- Eating okra helps to support the structure of capillaries.
- Some information shows that eating okra lowers the risk of cataracts.
Okra is good for preventing diabetes.
- Okra protects you from pimples and maintains smooth and beautiful skin. We understand the reason why Cleopatra and Yang Guifei loved to eat okra.
- There are other medicinal uses of okra, like its protection against trans fats.
Nutritional & Herbal Properties
Examples of mulberry’s medicinal properties are reducing blood serum glucose, lowering blood cholesterol and lipids levels, fighting arterial plaques and antiphlogistic, diuretic and expectorant effects. Various compounds present in mulberry that attribute to such therapeutic benefits are GABA, phytosterol, DNJ, flavonoids, alkaloids, steroids, etc. The nutritional values of 100g dry mulberry leafs are: Ca 2,699mg., Fe 44mg., Na 3.4mg., K 3,101mg., beta carotine 7.4mg., vitamin A 4,230 IU, vitamin B1 0.6mg., vitamin B2 1.4mg., vitamin C 32mg., and fiber 52g.
Mulberry has been cultivated and used for around 5,000 years. There were four main varieties: black, red, white, mountain or wild mulberry. Over centuries, there have been over a hundred varieties and many hundreds more local sub-varieties. Because of its diversity, you can find a mulberry tree in almost any altitudes and climates in the world.
For thousands of year, mulberry trees have been cultivated for silk production because silk worms are fed on mulberry leaves. Often, human beings and animals also appreciate mulberry for its fruits and leaves. The berries are consumed fresh, in juice or preserves (like mulberry jam). Mulberry young leaves and stems are yummy vegetable. It also has medicinal properties in infusions such as mulberry leaf tea. Not until the past few decades, scientists started to pay great attention to the medicinal and nutritional qualities of mulberry plants.
There have been researches studying the components and benefits of mulberry leaves for human and animal consumption and pharmaceutical purposes. Studies found that mulberry leaves contain 15%-28% of protein, with essential amino acids, depending on varieties. Studies find that the leaves and young stems are high in mineral content and have no anti-nutritional factors or toxic compounds. Mulberry leaves have typical calcium content around 1.8-2.4% and phosphorus 0.14-0.24%. The values of potassium in leaves are 1.90-2.87% and 1.33-1.53% in young stems, and magnesium 0.47-0.63% and 0.26-0.35% in leaves and stems respectively. Indian scientists have suggested the use of the powdered of white mulberry leaves as a nutritious ingredient for paratha, one kind of Indian breads. In Korea, Japan and Thailand, mulberry fruit and leaves are used as functional food such as ice-cream and noodles, containing powdered mulberry leaves as an ingredient.
The use of the mulberry-leaf powder in ice-cream showed reducing of blood glucose level in consumers, instead of rising. Hence, mulberry-leaf powder could be used in a food item that contains a sugar content in order to maintain the blood sugar level. Reducing the blood serum glucose is only one of the healthy properties of mulberry mentioned in several traditional herbal books like the ‘Shin Nou Honzou Gyou’ (the Chinese original academic herbal book) ‘Kissa Youjouki’ written by Eisai Zen Monk in Japan, and the old Latins and folk medicine scripts.
Indigenous medicinal practitioners, for centuries, have used different parts of mulberry plant for treating diseases and symptoms such as high-blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and lipids levels, arterial plaques, diuresis, diabetes, constipation, cough-phlegm, cold, anemia, etc. Scientific researches have confirmed these healing qualities of mulberry plant. Several clinical studies found that mulberry leaf contains GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid), phytosterol, DNJ (Dioxiogirimycin), vitamins and minerals. GABA helps maintain the normal blood pressure. Phytosterol helps reduce cholesterol in blood vessels. DNJ helps reduce sugar in the blood stream: lowers the risk of getting heart disease. DNJ also stimulates the blood circulation and increases the fluid in the body.
A 5-year research conducted in Kanagawa, Japan found that mulberry leaves have various preventive effects on adult diseases. Some of the effects are:
- Suppressing hypertension
- Lowering cholesterol level
- Preventing cancer (liver)
- Reducing level of blood sugar
- Suppressing mutagenesis of carcinogens.
Updated October 28, 2008 12:00 AM
As a natural antioxidant, alkaline ionized water protects cells from destructive free radicals before they cause the cell tissues to break down. This means that it can be effective in combating aging and other degenerative diseases like diabetes, asthma, cancer, and kidney diseases. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, but when taken in ionized liquid form, they become much more effective and powerful. The water also converts free radicals before they have a chance to damage healthy cells. Alkaline water seeks out free radicals and de-activates them.
Alkaline ionized water is rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium that help prevent the negative effects of over-acidic health conditions.
Drinking Aquahealth alkaline ionized water over a long period, will enable you to enjoy continuous health benefits. The water will remove the accumulated toxic acid wastes (due to stress and poor eating habits), and provide a rich level of oxygen in your blood. Many health writers maintain that the key to health, longevity, and lowering your biological/energetic age is the management and disposal of acidic waste products.
Aquahealth alkaline ionized water possesses excellent absorption, energizing and hydrating abilities. Alkaline water is more absorbable by the body and the cells. It is also easier to drink — you can drink more alkaline ionized water than other types of water, before you will feel full.
For more information visit www.aqua-health.com.ph.
MANILA, Philippines – Efforts to battle cancer and arrest the growing incidence of the disease, which ranks as the third leading cause of mortality in the Philippines, have grown more intense in recent years.
Medical science is in constant search for new ways that can help in the prevention and management of life-threatening malignancies. One food product that’s getting much attention for its potential health benefits is the North American cranberry.
While cranberry has long been used for the prevention of urinary tract infections, there is now a growing evidence of its anti-cancer benefits traced to its components.
Cranberry is rich in phytochemicals, with a particularly high content of flavonoids and a wealth of phenolic acids. This accounts for cranberry’s higher quality and quantity of antioxidants as compared to other fruits.
Cranberry extracts have also been observed to exhibit anti-tumor activities. Tumor inhibition by cranberry is likely to involved synergistic activities between the cranberry phytochemicals, including the flavonoids, proanthocyanidins, and ursolic acid.
Cranberry’s unique flavonoid compounds, which are also potent antioxidants, have been further linked to potential anti-cancer properties. There are numerous reports that quercetin, a prominent flavonoid in cranberry, inhibits the proliferation of cancer cells in vitro, including breast, colon, pancreas, and leukemia. Proanthocyanidins, another flavonoid in cranberry, have been found to inhibit the growth of tumor cells such as in leukemia, colon, and lung tissue without affecting the healthy cells.
The peel of the cranberry fruit contains a substantial amount of ursolic acid, also noted for its anticancer function.
The evidence is compelling, especially for those who want to reduce their chances of a cancer diagnosis or those simply planning on a healthier diet. Although fresh or dried cranberries are not readily available in the Philippines, one can still get the complete benefits of cranberry in a capsule.
CranUTI Nature’s Relief, available at Mercury Drug stores and other reputable drug stores nationwide, is a nutriceutical cranberry supplement that contains all the synergistic, full-spectrum activity of the entire cranberry, including the fruits, seeds, skin, and fully vitalized juice.
The high-potency cranberry extract used in CranUTI has three times greater antioxidant activity than cranberry juice and 25 percent more fiber. Each capsule of CranUTI is equivalent to approximately 300 ml. of cranberry juice (roughly the size of one can of drink), without the preservatives, sugar or other impurities.
For more information, visit http://www.cranuti.com or text 4 INFO09167410346.